Square Meals Recipes - Beef Stew Serve with boiled potatoes.
Beef Stew Ingredients
- 1 1/2 lb or 675g stewing beef
- 1 3/4 pt or l litre homemade beef stock or 1 low‑salt beef stock cubes dissolved in 1 3/4 pt or 1l of warm water ( Read Vegetable,Beef and Chicken Stock Recipe )
- 1 dessertspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 oz or 40g flour
- pinch of salt if desired
- 5 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 parsnip
- 3 dessertspoons of frozen peas
- 5 potatoes, peeled
How to make Beef Stew
- Fry the meat on both sides until browned.
- Remove from the frying pan and place in a saucepan.
- Chop the onions, carrots and parsnips and fry lightly.
- Remove from the frying pan and with the peas place in the saucepan with the meat.
- Sprinkle the flour into the frying pan and stir well.
- Add the stock cubes, water and seasoning. Continue stirring.
- Add this to the meat and vegetables and cook gently over a low heat for 1–1½ hours until the meat is tender.
- Add washed and peeled potatoes to the stew, 30 minutes before the end of cooking time. This may also be cooked as a casserole in the oven.