Tasty Tots Recipe - A healthy, kid-friendly alternative to traditional ‘fried’ potatoes, Tasty Tots are made with sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans (chickpeas).
Tasty Tots are a combination of sweet potatoes, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), and cinnamon that come together classically to form a unique, delicious side dish.
Tasty Tots Ingredients
- 5 cups Fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, coarsely shredded
- 2 1/4 cups Canned low-sodium garbanzo beans (chickpeas), with liquid
- 1/2 cup Fresh green onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2tsp Granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
How to Cook Tasty Tots
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Place shredded potatoes on a large baking pan sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 °F for 20 minutes or until slightly tender. Do not overcook.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 °F.
- In a food processor or blender, purée garbanzo beans, including the liquid, until smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine shredded sweet potatoes, puréed garbanzo beans, green onions, vegetable oil, salt, garlic, pepper, onion powder, and cinnamon. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 40-45 minutes to make tots easier to form.
- Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, roll 36 tots. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Lightly flatten the tops of the tots with a spoon or a fork. Bake at 400 °F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Serve hot.