Sweet Potato and Black Bean Stew Recipe - This hearty main dish combines the sweetness of orange sweet potatoes and the robustness of black beans, with the surprise addition of Swiss chard and a light touch of cumin. Serve over brown rice or whole-wheat couscous for a warm delight.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Stew
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1/2 small pepper Dried New Mexican chili pepper, whole
- 1 1/4 cups Fresh onions, peeled, diced
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed 1/2”
- 6 cups Canned low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- 3/4 cup Orange juice
- 1 cup Low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- 4 cups Fresh Swiss chard, no stems, chopped
How to make Sweet Potato and Black Bean Stew
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot. Cook chili pepper and onions for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cumin and cook for 2 minutes..
- Add sweet potatoes, black beans, orange juice, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove chili pepper and discard.
- Add vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Add Swiss chard. Cover and continue cooking until Swiss chard is tender. Serve hot.
May serve over brown rice or whole-wheat couscous.