Squish Squash Lasagna Recipe - This tantalizing dish features butternut squash, a deep orange-colored winter squash with a sweet, nutty taste similar to pumpkin that children are sure to enjoy.
Squish Squash Lasagna Ingredients
- 1/4 tsp Canola oil
- 3/4 cup Fresh onions, peeled, diced
- 2 tsp Fresh garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Canned low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp Dried basil
- 8 Whole-wheat lasagna sheets, no-boil, 3 1/2” x 7” sheets
- 1 1/4 cups Fresh spinach, julienne cut “shoestring strips” 1/8”
- 22 slices Fresh butternut squash, peeled, seeded, sliced
- 1/4” (1 medium)
- 3/4 cup Low-fat mozzarella cheese, low moisture, part skim, shredded (3 oz)
How to make Squish Squash Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Heat canola oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, oregano, thyme, and basil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 cup water. Mix well.
- Divide sauce into 3 equal parts (about 3/4 cup each) and set aside for step 6.
- Place pasta sheets in a bowl filled with hot water for 5 minutes. Remove sheets as needed to assemble lasagna.
- Spray bottom and sides of an 8” x 8” nonstick baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To Assemble:
- Place 4 lasagna sheets overlapping, covering the bottom of the pan
- Cover evenly with about 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- Spread half of the spinach (about 3/4 cup) evenly over sauce
- Place 11 slices of squash on top of spinach, slightly overlapping
- Repeat layering steps a-d
- Cover with remaining sauce (about 3/4 cup)
Give your kids some excitement by serving this mouthwatering main dish at mealtime.