Spanish Chickpea Stew Recipe - The hearty Spanish Chickpea Stew will make a delightful addition to your menu. The flavors of Spanish Chickpea Stew are well-balanced by the slight acidity of the tomatoes, creating a delicious main dish when served over brown rice or whole-wheat couscous.
The mild spicing of cumin and paprika, the heartiness of chickpeas, the soothing taste of spinach, the slight acidity of tomatoes, and the sweetness of golden raisins, create a delicious stew that will make your mouth water.
Spanish Chickpea Stew Ingredients
- 3 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Fresh garlic, minced
- 2 cups Fresh onions, peeled, diced
- 2 tsp Sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 3 cups Frozen spinach, chopped
- 2 cups Canned low-sodium garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained, rinsed
- 3/4 cup Golden raisins
- 1 cup Canned low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
How to make Spanish Chickpea Stew
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add onions and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Mix in paprika and cumin.
- Add spinach and cook for 7 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans (chickpeas), raisins, tomatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 7-10 minutes, or until raisins are plump.
- Add vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Serve hot.