Chicken Curry Casserole - In this traditional, spiced Indian dish, tender chicken strips, fresh carrots, diced celery, and brown rice are tossed in a creamy curry sauce and baked until golden.
Chicken Curry Casserole Ingredients
- 1 cup Brown rice, long-grain, regular, dry
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1/4 cup Low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Fresh celery
- 1 cup Fresh onions, peeled, diced
- 1 1/4 cups Fresh carrots, peeled, shredded
- 1 1/2 tsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2cup Low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 cups Cooked fajita chicken strips, diced 1” (12 oz)
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Makes six 1-cup servings
How to cook Chicken Curry Casserole
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Combine brown rice and 2 1/2 cups water in large pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low. Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 30-40 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Set aside. A rice cooker may be used with the same quantity of brown rice and water.
- In a large pan, heat canola oil and chicken broth over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add celery, onions, and carrots. Cook an additional 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine curry powder, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and yogurt. Add vegetables, brown rice, and chicken. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into a 9” x 9” nonstick baking pan. Bake uncovered at 400 °F for 15 minutes. Heat to an internal temperature of 165 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Serve hot.