Dinner Healthy Recipe Ideas - BBQ Turkey in Pepper Shells dish is colorful and healthy. You can save money by using all green bell peppers.
BBQ Turkey in Pepper Shells Ingredients
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 bell peppers (any color)
How to make BBQ Turkey in Pepper Shells
- Brown ground turkey in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink; drain excess fat.
- Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the whole bell peppers; simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cut the whole bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place in a microwave safe dish with a small amount of water.
- Cover and microwave bell peppers on high until crisp-tender, for about 5 minutes. 6. Remove peppers from the dish and place on a large plate. Spoon turkey mixture into bell pepper shells and serve.